Sunday, January 13, 2008

Of Methil Devika


I'm the laziest blogger on this planet, but I saw this today and had to yap about it.

*drumroll*
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce to you Methil Devika?

*applause* Thank you ! It's an honor to introduce her.

For all those who've never heard this name, I assume you are alien to the field of South Indian dance. To read all about her career and other blah-blah, please go here.

Why do I care to write about her ?! Because I knew the lass from high school. She was the kalatilakam at school and district and revenue district (what the hell is a revenue district anyway?) level competitions, all because of her dance performances. There was nothing she couldn't perform - bharatanatyam, kuchipudi, mohiniyattom, folk dance, the works. She was invincible. I remember waiting eagerly for her performance during school competitions.

Needless to say, she was the heart-throb of all the just-turning-adolescent guys in school.

She was the arts champ in high school for three consecutive years - and I repeated the feat in upper primary (with zero dancing, thank you very much!). We were both selected as outstanding junior citizens of Palakkad - but the similarity ends right there. This one was destined for something great, and I....

But, I digress. We went to the same college and the trend continued on a much grander scale. She danced, they salivated.

By this time, she was a little who's who in the dance scene. She was busy dancing and I moved away from home, so our meetings were rare. The next thing I knew - she had signed a deal with a producer in Hollywood.

Wait, there's more. One would think dancing was a full-time job. Not for her.
This one went on to do her MBA with gold medal and even to Santhi Niketan.

(Note to God : What did you make her brains with ? Could I borrow the leftovers?)

Why this rant today? I caught a glimpse of her while channel-surfing idly (THAT's what my life amounted to). Upon further investigation, I realized that this woman was a judge on the Star Wars show on Kairali TV. I almost freaked out. A judge ?! a JUDGE ?!

Upon sane thinking, I realized that she was the right person for stuff like judging dance performances. Heck, she had devoted her whole life to it !

I watched the whole show in the evening (for anyone interested, the show goes on air daily at 7:30 PM IST). Among a slew of extremely ugly and un-talented - I just made that word up - and most probably stinking- people, she emerged; in all her glory and grace. The same old girl - with maturity thrown in for good measure. Still beautiful, still level-headed. A lot more knowledgeable. Said something about 'mukhanga abhinaya' which I chose to ignore. I was too busy ogling at her and worrying about my dismally mediocre life.

My mother was nostalgia personified. After preliminaries (such as appreciating her looks and progress), she got down to work - driving home the point that she had lived her life and that I had merely existed.

She was right.


D chechi - if you ever read this teeny-weeny internet tribute, I'm honored to know you. I'm your fan for life.

22 comments:

Lost in trance... said...

pretty face alrite! :)

ANUP said...

never realized that during our masters program in chennai that this junior of ours was destined to be a mini celebrity..not that i watch much of television and reality shows...but yeah its good to know this, and in case you bump into her pass on my regards - AN

prakriti said...

..am extremely glad to read that you all think she is a celeb. Methil Devika was a celeb in our hearts many years ago. she was my senior at rabindra bharati university, kolkatta..at the theatre department we would ogle at her.. buried amongst books on philosophy and semiotics, she never had the time to notice..her skills in theatre aesthetics and Indian classical body kinesics, the best I have seen. we would call her a natural..whatever style she did, it just came to her so naturally. true scholar, simple and extremely nice...never knew she studied in chennai! am glad i was able to see her work. I have personally learnt a lot.

Anandit Banerjee said...

Did you know that she could do the martial art thangta well? funny nobody mentioned it! I had seen Devika-di during a workshop.

best wishes Anandit

malluboy said...

I really wanted to marry her but could not because she did not like me and her parents hated me.

Even now my pretty wife says that I just like her but love devika for life

Lakshmi said...

Happened to hear a wonderful talk on Rasasiddhantam by Methil Devika at Govt. Victoria College, Palakkad for the MA students. Easier to understand our subject Indian Aesthetics now. She talks beautifully and performs beautifully.

for Kathakali club said...

I am a Kathakali fan who cared little for any other dance style. Not until I saw Methil's lecturedemo. Methil Devika gave the Dubai-based Kathakali group, Thiranottam, an hour long demonstration of Mohiniyattam with intermittant talk as well.

Very beautifully she displayed the building-up of the medium to suit the lyrics. Not the regular sringara numbers. We left with a renewed perception of the form. An INTENSE artist with crystal clear abhinaya!

However I wished she could have elaborated on a few dance terminologies that she had used while she spoke!!

jaisree, palakkad said...

devika chechi takes sessions on creative movement for mental patients in Palakkad. she is busy with developing such people rather than fetching herself shows and it is without fee. an example of how one uses art effectively for the growth of people around us...love you chechi for your thoughts that have always been for others.
your junior in school, jaisree

vagabond heart said...

She was in Second Year B.Com,When I joined Victoria College.To be honest never have I seen such a graceful woman.It's nice to read all these good comments.Wish her all the very best. Dear Devika Chechi You symbolize the Spirit of Victoria.

vagabond heart said...

She was in Second Year B.Com,When I joined Victoria College.To be honest never have I seen such a graceful woman.It's nice to read all these good comments.Wish her all the very best. Dear Devika Chechi You symbolize the Spirit of Victoria.

nktpkd said...

She was in her first year B.Com when I joined GVC. I had a class mate who used to talk to her for hours about arts/culture etc. He also became a famous person, Sarath Haridasan. Like the author said, they have achieved their dreams.

saleembabu said...

I read ur interview on 'family facebook magazine' i respect you... but, i thinging only romance with u... i always like you...

Padmakumar C. said...

Hi Devika this is babu...keep it up...

Anonymous said...

Amazing! This blog looks just likе my old one! Ӏt's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

my page; Some Unique Hotels Of The World

Anonymous said...

Yοur mоde of describing аll in thіs parаgraph is genuinely good, аll
be capablе of effortleѕѕly undeгѕtand it, Thanks a lot.



My blog post; Some Special Hotels Of The World

Anonymous said...

Hello! Someone in my Facebook group ѕharеd this
ωеbѕitе with us ѕo I сame to checκ it out.
ӏ'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm booκ-marking anԁ will
be tweeting thіѕ tο my followers! Eхсeptional blog and outstаnding style and desіgn.


my web-site :: General: Take a trip

Anonymous said...

Eveгything is very open with a pгecise clarifісation of the challеngеs.
It was definitеly infoгmаtive. Your websіte is useful.
Thank yοu fог sharing!

my ωebpage :: Amsterdam condo

Anonymous said...

Hеllo therе! Quiсk queѕtіоn that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I'm
trуіng to find a tеmplate or plugin thаt might
bе ablе tо resolvе thіs iѕsue.
Іf you haѵе any rесommendationѕ, plеаse sharе.
Apprеciate it!

mу web site; Thailand Phuket Motels

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to find out what blog system you're utilizing?
I'm experiencing some small security problems with my latest site and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?

Here is my weblog :: Should you be considering to go to The european countries

Anonymous said...

Hi, I dο thinκ this is a great ωеb site.
I stumbleԁupon it ;) Ι may come back yеt аgain since I book markеd it.

Moneу anԁ fгeedom іs the
greatest waу to change, may yοu be rich and continue to guide others.


mу page The italian capital can be quite a good spot to check out. The capital Resorts

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it'ѕ new tо me.
Anywayѕ, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be booκ-marking
and checking baсk frequently!

Also visіt my website Thailand Phuket Accommodations

Anonymous said...

This pагagraph will assist the
internеt ρeoplе for crеating new ωeblog or even a weblοg fгom start to end.


My ωeb blog; whitianga conference venue